The Menominee River is a major tributary of Green Bay and the Great Lakes. It also forms most of the border between NE Wisconsin and the UP. Currently, it is in danger of being developed into an open pit gold and zinc mine by Aquila Resources via their Back Forty Project. Please visit the link and sign the online petition to help preserve this wonderful wilderness environment. The mine, if created, would likely produce metallic sulfide that would damage the river.
Here are some good questions being asked about the project:
- How does an open pit mine on its banks fit in with the goals of the Great Lakes Compact or the $250 million dollars just budgeted federally for clean up?
- How does it fit in with the lower Menominee clean up projects of the Wisconsin DNR and Wisconsin Public Service?
- How does it fit in with the Sturgeon restoration or other stocking programs on the river?
- Or how does it fit in with the Menekaunee Harbor Restoration Project at the mouth of the river?
- How about the state motto? Pure Michigan